Go Media Podcast – Episode 9: Myths of Owning Your Own Design Firm plus an Interview with These Are Things
In this episode, we talk about the myths of owning your own design firm and we also sit down with WMC Fest speakers Jen and Omar from These Are Things. This was also the first “live” episode of the podcast.
Listen to the Podcast
We want to hear what you have to say about the podcast. Leave your comments below.
Sponsor of this Episode
This episode is sponsored by WMC Fest 4. WMC Fest is the premier art, design, and music festival in the Midwest. Uniting creative dreamers and doers since 2010. WMC Fest takes place from August 16th through 18th at Cleveland Public Theatre. 20 speakers, 20 designers, and 30+ bands.
Go Media Quick Tip: Don’t Feed The Trolls.
- We just posted the results of our WMC Design Contest. We thought it was going to be great news for the community, however we received a lot of unexpected backlash.
- Traditionally, we curate the 20 designer list. Last year, we opened it up to the public to submit their work and we would decide. This year, we also opened it up to a popular vote. Basically, if an artist could hustle and get people interested in their work and the fest, would be in consideration, even if their portfolio isn’t the strongest.
- Tracy from The Daily Quipple received over 1,000 votes and showed that she hustled to get her fan base, including non-designers, to come in and support her.
What’s Go Media Been Up To?
- WMC’s Kickstarter is underway. Still some time to help fund this year’s Fest.
- All speakers and bands have been booked and the full list is now available on WMCFest.com.
- Bill and Jeff went to Montreal Meets, a design conference in Montreal, Canada.
- Bryan has been working with Dave on improving “Lorain”, our WordPress theme. We’re also preparing to move development from the 1140 grid to Zurb’s Foundation 4.
- Bryan has also been looking into changing our wireframe process. Instead of static, graphic representations, or quick sketches, he’s working towards building low-level functional prototypes with the Foundation framework.
- The interns have started. Kyle and Carly joined us in May. Alex and Andrew will join us in June.
- Simon has been pushing forward with the new Arsenal. Vector Pack 22 was also released.
Myths About Owning Your Own Design Business and Why It’s Worth It
- “I can make my own hours.”
- “I can work fewer hours because I have employees!”
- “I’m going to be RICH.”
- “I can pay myself whatever I want.”
Why It’s Worth It
- You’ll learn a lot.
- Life’s short.
- You have the opportunity.
- You just might succeed.
- Ownership has it’s privileges.
- You won’t be alone.
- Co-workers will inspire you and push you.
- If you love what you do you’ll never work a day in your life.
Interested in sponsoring the Go Media podcast, either episodically or exclusively? Well, hit us up at [email protected] if you are interested in advertising your business.
What Do You Think?
We want to hear what you think about the latest episode of our podcast and what topics you would like to see covered in upcoming episodes. Comment below with your suggestions.
Ready for More?
Keep learning and listening to more Go Media podcasts!