Go Media Podcast – Episode 3: The Role of a Designer
This episode focuses on the role of a designer with special guests Connie Ozan from Twist Creative and Julia Briggs from Blue Star Design. We also talk about setting up metrics for your business and the redesign of the Arsenal.
Listen to the Podcast
Go Media Quick Tip: Setting up Metrics for your Business
- What are metrics?
- Setting up stats to clearly identify success and weak points in your business.
- Bill’s story at his Business class.
What’s Go Media Been Up To?
- On the Map – Date is Nov 9th. Be there!
- Arsenal ReDesign – products integrated into developer’s stage.
- COSE Small Business Conference (Bill and Jackie speaking, Go Media had a booth).
- Storefront Renovations update.
- A client hated one of our designs.
- Hurricane Sandy, leaking roof, losing power.
- Hiring Project Manager & a Jr. Level Designer.
Topic: The Role of a Designer
Special Guests: Connie Ozan & Julia Briggs in-studio
- Define “Designer” (graphic designer, not industrial/interior).
- Define “Role” (what’s the context? role with a client? role in the world?)
- Labels like Designer, Graphic Designer, Art Director, Artist, Commercial Artist, Illustrator.
- Artist vs. Designer?
- Evolution of a Designer over time.
- Ideal Role vs. Actual Role
Roles of a Designer
- With a client/boss
- With other team members
- With your wallet/bank account
- With your self/your own products
- With society/the world/the environment
- Production Roles
- Commercial Artist (art as product), Illustrator
- Visual Designer, Pixel Pusher (make stuff look pretty)
- Style Jockey (designer performs his/her style)
- Idea Generator (designer ideates on behalf of client)
- UX Designer (how will the user actually USE this?)
- Front End Developer (HTML/CSS/JS)
- Non Production Roles
- Salesperson (communicate value)
- Order Taker/Client Pleaser (similar to salesperson)
- Educator, Researcher (understand)
- Business Consultant
- Therapist, Psychiatrist (helping client understand themselves)
- Facilitator (extended family, connector)
- Social/Worldly Roles
- Social Changer
- Risk Taker (society expects creative people to take the risks)
Interested in sponsoring the Go Media podcast, either episodically or exclusively? Well, hit us up at [email protected] if you are interested in advertising your business.
What Do You Think?
We want to hear what you think about the latest episode of our podcast and what topics you would like to see covered in upcoming episodes. Comment below with your suggestions.
Keep learning and listening to more Go Media podcasts.