So who hasn’t heard of Instagram by now? If you haven’t, it’s a photo-sharing service based around a free iPhone app. It’s huge, and to be honest I’m not exactly sure why.
You take photos, add an optional retro filter to it, then upload and share to people who follow you. Kind of like Twitter for photos. Kinda. You can also post the photos to Twitter, Facebook, Flickr and more.
Here’s what we want you to do: if you’re an iPhone owner, go out and take some photos using Instagram and upload to your Flickr account. Then, use the photos in an original design. Doesn’t have to be anything fancy or involved. Since it’s winter now, let’s make that the theme to help you get started. If you don’t own an iPhone, find a friend with one or find an Instagram image online from another user (and get permission to use the photo first, of course).
All designs must conform to the square Instagram dimensions. You are free to do anything to the photo except add filters from your graphics software. Only the photo filters from within Instagram are allowed. We’re on the honor system for this. The idea is to limit your resources to nudge your creativity. You’ll only be cheating yourself.
Once your design is complete, upload it to the Go Media User Showcase:
- Login to your Flickr Account (sign up if you don’t have one)
- Join the Go Media User Showcase Group (only group members can contribute)
- Upload your designs to your own profile
- Click on your newly uploaded designs then click the button “send to group” above your image and choose the Go Media group.
- Tag your image with “Go Media Instagram Challenge” (use the quotes when adding the tag so it registers as one big tag)
We’ll run the challenge for 2 weeks, then pick the best of the bunch and feature them in an upcoming blog post here on the ‘Zine, with a short interview of the creator. Our fave design will receive $25 in Arsenal credit as well.