First off, let me start off by saying, I am a lover of Album Cover Artwork. And I don’t mean some dump-ya-after-3-dates kinda lover, but a put-a-ring-on-your-finger kinda lover. ;) I have read a crazy amount of books on the subject, studied designers and artists that I love, and now I am attempting to build a shrine in their honor and using this post as my medium.
Album cover artwork has come a long way throughout the years. We all are probably used to the computer made designs of today, but we can’t forget the album cover artwork created before technology made things easier. My attempt with this showcase, is to illustrate that album cover artwork has been awesome for decades, so check out this post for album cover artwork from the 1940s to present day.
For further reading, check out these publications:
- Punk on 45: Revolutions on Vinyl 1976-79
- Exotiquarium: Album Art from the Space Age
- This Ain’t No Disco: New Wave Album Covers
- For the Record: The Life and Work of Alex Steinweiss
- Cocinando!: Fifty Years of Latin Album Cover Art
- In the Groove: Vintage Record Graphics 1940-1960
- Factory Records: The Complete Graphic Album
- Sonic: Visuals for Music
- Supersonic: Visuals for Music